Aug 13, 2012 - Day # 6 - One little drain, so much pain.

Day 6: It's worth stating how different each day can be from the day before and likewise how exactly the same it can be. One never knows where or what when you wake up that morning. I can say I can very easily see where a woman could fall into a state of depression during mastectomy recovery. There is a lott of confinement with vests and drains, repetition of tasks on the hour, lack of social interactions, medication induced emotions. Then there are just the physical changes that lead to a less than perky attitude. Surrounding yourself with pick me up activities and positive people is a must. (Hence my obsession with Anne Of Green Gables movies this week. She's a kindred spirit indeed).

And one must not forget the caregiver who has so much on their plate. Empty drains every few hours, get you to the bathroom, do sponge baths, cook this, grab that, suffer through my emotions, roll me over to put pillows here...on and on. Some comic relief is I slept surrounded by 14 pillows at last count. Pitiful really, but you do what you have to do. I called my mom back in to help out this week so the amazing Ron could have a day or two where he didn't have to be so amazing. Plus, I'm dreading Wednesday (my next appointment), so I want all hands on deck!

We had a great walk last night. The distance was extremely short -you should see my shuffle. I look as though I've aged 70 years. All hunched over watching my feet and walking stiff to try and hold everything in place. Any little movement can send shooting pains that take your breath away. Regardless, the walk is worth it on all accounts. Socialization, blood flow, seeing something other than these four walls. And watching the dog walkers. A pooch can lighten any spirits. Almost.

Last night, I broke down. So frustrated as to why I was still in so much pain and limited in mobility. Mom quickly reminded me of all that had been done to my chest wall just six days ago. Anyone would still be in pain. I'm an over achiever and since I don't see a lot of progress in that area, it frustrates me. I have a very lengthy tube all coiled up in my chest wall. It's sucking out all fluid. It's not supposed to be there in every day life. Of course it would be painful. Oh to get rid of that not so little tube which causes me so much woe!

 My big concerns today: dreading the actual removal of the drains on Wednesday. Dreading the appointment all together for the poking and prodding. Dreading Monday for surgery #2 to start reconstruction. It should be much easier this go round by far, but still just ready to be done with this stage of having a concave boob-less chest. It certainly unfolded way differently than I had anticipated. But God has His plans and He has His provisions. He teaches me in my despair and grows me through our conversations. Baby steps still get you to the finish line.


Click  www.tradinginthetatas.blogspot.com to access other posts. 

1 comment:

Sally McCollum said...



Traci Bare Pierce Hang in there!! You are truly doing great--put that over achiever out of your mind--she can be an ugly beast! Lots of love and prayers to you, Ron and momma Jane.
August 13 at 11:13am via mobile · Like

Kim Overton Moore Praying for you... I am right around the corner & willing to help!
August 13 at 11:42am via mobile · Like

Mary Joe McLamb Praying for you
August 13 at 1:05pm via mobile · Like

Catherine Etheridge Otto You are still serving as an over achiever by keeping us all updated as to how you are doing and constantly serving as a positive example and encourager to all who are around you. You are an amazing woman, Sally! And you are loved by SO many (including me). Hugs to you and Ron. Coterie Up!
August 13 at 2:05pm · Like

Shearl McCollum Hardison I'm at a loss for words, I want to help you adjust and relieve your pain but I can do neither, I feel so helpless.
.
I know its hard t o write your posts but I'm so thankful for them. Its nice to find out how you are doing without aggravating or disturbing you with a call.

Sally, you are one of the strongest and most positive people I know. I could take some needed lessons. Anyway, take care and continue with your baby steps and in time things will improve.

Know you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. XXXOOO!
August 13 at 2:56pm · Like

Krista Page Pierce Sally, I wish for a moment you could see yourself through the eyes of those of us following your posts. I am sitting here thinking of how strong you are, physically, mentally, spiritually. Of course that comes as no surprise. Those are the same things I remember about you as a teenager. We are all praying for you and sending you our love.
August 13 at 3:12pm via mobile · Like · 1

Sharon Waicus You are an inspiration to all who reads your posts. May God continue to bless you
August 13 at 3:20pm · Like

Ron Hundley You are doing amazing! Keep up your faith in your progress. Everyday is another step (no matter how small you may think it is). We are all so proud of you.
August 13 at 6:53pm · Like

Lisa Higginbotham Ditto to what others have said. Thank you for your posts, for your faith, and your strength. Yes, your strength! You are amazing! I understand the over achiever, that is me too, but I could never do what you have. God will bless you Sally, He already does, even though you aren't feeling it. We will continue to pray for you and I will be ready to make that cheesecake whenever you are ready! Stay strong Sally! We love you!
August 13 at 8:51pm via mobile · Like

Sabrina Lai Kloehn You amaze me Sally!! Loving your posts - your beautiful heart and courageous spirit shine through. Praying special prayers for comfort and healing for you sweet friend!
August 13 at 10:03pm · Like

Jenny McLamb Man, what a difficult road you're on right now! Praise God for being right there with you!! Still praying!!
August 13 at 10:57pm · Like