Aug 12, 2012 - Day # 5 - My brand new Lazyboy

Day #5. The great news is I am sleeping really well at night. A miracle in itself if you could see the positions I have to put myself in to relieve the pain. It's comical on absolutely every level, except for maybe Ron's level who has to get me settled each night. I got 10 hours last night. Praises. It seems impossible, really, but it happened.

 Yesterday, was all about massive edema in my legs so Ron sat on the bed in front of me so I could prop my legs up on his head (yes, his head) to let the fluid drain down. He basically became my lazyboy and I just sat there laughing at the absurdity of it while peering over the top of his head to see the TV show. Really, who else but Ron would do that for someone. He literally sat there and watched TV with me with another human being's legs on top of his head and shoulders. And when I say it was hysterical (if you can get past the pitiful), I mean absolutely laugh down to your gut hysterical.

The pain from the edema is a little better this morning. Really, I thought the pain in general would be less by now, but so far each day is the same as the day before despite my narcotics. Have I mentioned I'm ready for the drains to be out? Please don't miss out on that revelation. My emotional state is improving a tad as well. Each day it is a little easier to look inside the bandage and see a chest wall that is not only flat, but actually concave and scarred. It's an enveloped mash up of skin and glue (the surgeon used glue to close the incision so it could be reopened again for reconstruction starting in a few days). This smashed up mush of what used to be a boob will freak someone out after a lifetime of seeing something very different. I didn't realize just how much these two flabs of skin affected your self view. If you had asked me about that perspective 2 months ago I would have said you were crazy. I would have been wrong.

God is growing empathy in me and giving me a view into a population I haven't been exposed to before, those blessed women of mastectomy. I'm learning that scars of mastectomy are way better than the alternative statistics. What was a 90% chance of breast cancer last week is now less than 5%. Peace of mind in the long run if we can get through the emotional and physical scars of the next six weeks. God isn't finished with me yet. He has great plans (this included) and I'm meeting amazing people along the way. And I'm finding a new side to my husband that trumps every man I've ever met. "Time to empty the drains" he says with a huge smile on his face as he watches the tears stream down mine. He has to suffer another day through my tears. I get to be blessed through his servent spirit. I love him so.

Click  www.tradinginthetatas.blogspot.com to access other posts. 

2 comments:

Sally McCollum said...


Jenny McLamb Wow Sally!!! You are so brave!! I have found a new hero in you!! I am so proud of you!! Praise God for so graciously walking you through this- for His Glory!! WOW!! We are keepin' on praying!!
August 12 at 11:00am via mobile · Like

Penelope Bethune I am so proud of you too. Ann was so concerned about you when you were sick in high school, You were amazing then and still are.
August 12 at 11:07am · Like

Traci McLamb Snyder Still praying for you! You are so very brave and strong!
August 12 at 11:54am via mobile · Like

Sharon Waicus May God bless all of you- You will continue to be in our prayers
August 12 at 11:58am · Like

Sally Moore McCollum Penelope, thank you for sharing. I miss our dear Ann oh so much. She cheered me on then, and she even cheers me on now. All of this is a consequence of all the radiation i got for my lymphoma back then. It set me up for super High risks for getting breast cancer now. And if i got it, i couldn't get radiation again to treat it so this was our best bet to be proactive. I think of Ann so very often. Love her and live you too! Jenny, I'm not a hero! I'm God's servant though, so I'm trusting him I'm all of this add much as i can. We can do all things....
August 12 at 12:39pm via mobile · Like

Mary Joe McLamb Continuing to pray for you, Sally.
August 12 at 1:01pm · Like

Kimberly Hendges Sally, what a journey God has you on! I am so inspired by your actions, and your positive additude given the decision you had to make to have this surgery. Working in health care everyday, I wish more people were as proactive as you about their own health. Some how in high school I missed the fact that you had lymphoma! With all that you've been though in the past with that, and now with this surgery, God must have big plans for you! Thank you for being an inspiration to us all! I will pray that your recovery gets easier and you get stronger every hour.
August 12 at 1:15pm · Like

Sally Moore McCollum Yes, Kim. My sophomore year. I think you knew then, but had just forgotten. I missed allot of that year. Sailed through with flying colors then, but caused some issues long term. Nothing big so fast until this. But thus will only be a short term problem now. 1, maybe 2 more surgeries and i will be good as new. And maybe even a little perky. LOL. Hugs to you.
August 12 at 1:35pm via mobile · Unlike · 1

Sally McCollum said...



Lisa Higginbotham Sally, words escape me. I am in awe of your strength and faith. We are praying for you.
August 12 at 1:59pm via mobile · Like

Sally Moore McCollum Lisa, you might want to quickly head out of town unexpectedly and making yourself unavailable or else i might summons you for a slice of your delicious cheesecake in the next few weeks/months. =) i recall it having healing powers. Actually I'm up to my eyeballs in moms blackberry cobbler and Anns pound cake. What's a little weight gain, right?
August 12 at 2:28pm via mobile · Like

Lisa Higginbotham Sally, you just say when. do you prefer plain or pumpkin? I have my Dad's recipe for chocolate too. it would be my pleasure to do this for you. we love you girl!
August 12 at 3:47pm via mobile · Like

Ron Hundley You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you! If there is anything we can do, we will. Our house is open for a mountain retreat if you need it!
August 12 at 7:00pm · Like

Lori Blanchard Walker I had no idea...I'm so sorry, but so proud of you. Prayers your way!!
August 12 at 9:11pm · Like

Catherine Etheridge Otto Love you, dear friend! You have been in my prayers and will continue to be! You are a warrior! :) Let me know when you are up for visitors. Hugs!!
August 12 at 10:15pm · Like

Amy Stocki You are my hero! Fantastic post!
August 12 at 10:34pm · Like

Content Truelove Ron is amazing even if he eats all of your sausage dip ;)
August 12 at 11:04pm · Like

Sally Moore McCollum Catherine, anytime. Visitors actually are a huge boost for my spirits bringing the outside world in. These four walks only provide so much entertainment.
August 13 at 10:02am via mobile · Like