January 3, 2018 - Three crystals of flaky white snow



I’m sitting here watching the first flakes of snow fall, blanketing the grunge below it in a renewing white. In the first hours of snowfall I am reminded of how the earthly slate is gradually being wiped clean. No matter what lies beneath, the snow finds a way to hide the contents underneath. If only for a minute, the flakes are unstirred and able to recanvas the world in its opaque snow white. A clean slate. A freshly applied masterpiece. It’s breathtaking, really, at how quickly it all becomes transformed. The ugliest of landscapes suddenly rivals the most spectacular all because of the pre-scripted fall of a collection of ice crystals. Yes, soon it is marred again with the traffic of to and fro but for a moment, while undisturbed, it’s has the ability to be anything and everything you can imagine.

I see myself now, a year after my brother’s death, as the snow drifts down on the stone pavers outside,  that the past 12 months for me have been exactly like snow.  On January 11, I woke up to the ugliest of landscapes, seemingly unrepairable, scarred by the evil of life, forever transformed into “after Andy died” and from that singular moment of his body being found, unbeknownst to me at the time the very first flake started to fall.

It started with your praying us through it the moment you got the news. It started with friends and family gathering in his home the morning he died. It started the moment we began pulling the pieces together for his funeral.  It continued to fall as I traversed back into every day life at lightning speed, too soon now in retrospect. It started to accumulate on the sidewalks as I reached out to you in my struggles in the months that would pass.  And then as summer came, it built up along the grassy spots as I flubbered through not understanding my confusion. Finally, fall arrived and my crying out for restoration brought the most beautiful, peaceful, landscape-changing blanketing of snow.

Looking back, I see it took months before I saw the start of the snow canvas, enough flakes falling to begin to take its shape, but soon enough there it was covering the ugly underneath and renewing my landscape. But it, this restoration, started with a single snow flake. I know I am supposed to say 2017 was my worst year, I know those around me would expect this given what we experienced, but in all honesty, sometimes “the worst” finds a way of morphing itself into something else. The moment itself was the worst, but the aftermath, the snow fall, well, it softened my world into something transforming. I’m simply better at being. A miraculous outcome of tragedy.  

I’m able to function again now, albeit many months later, without the horrific triggers of his death infringing on my day. They no longer creep into my morning routine, my overheard conversations, or my leisurely moments. But I am aware I am at risk as I sometimes see it on the periphery of my existence.  A few days before his death, there was snow falling, this exact same week, and I felt a flinch at seeing the same forecast lining up to repeat itself this week. And next week, I will hear the ring of that phone call in my head while I am preparing for my day. But even in this experience (as I’ve termed it, traumatic grief) I am wiser than I once was. I have an ability to see a whole other side of the death experience that I didn’t gain with the death of my grandparents, or close friend from malignancy, or patients I work with daily. It’s as if a stone was pushed away revealing an existence I wasn’t aware of before.  Mastectomy did this as well, with its own insights provided, letting me know that we never really know it all. We think because we have watched something unfold around us, or seen something portrayed in literature that we suddenly “get it” because it was so comprehensively explained. It simply isn’t so. Until you walk in the shoes yourself you simply are an informed observer, a far cry from an experienced survivor. I get that now.  Never again will I assume I know what you are going through. And never again will I assume I’ve learned it all.

“We will thrive in the new scenery not despite the profound loss, but because of the gain and clarity that can come in the experience, even when it feels like tragedy.” These were my words on January 27th, a few days after his death when I wasn’t sure what was up and what was down, but I had enough togetherness to know and trust God’s promises. And I’ve kept those words on my desk this whole year as a reminder of where I was going. Thrive. Gain. Clarity. Three crystals of flaky white snow. 


2 Corinthians 13:9 (ESV) - “For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. Your restoration is what we pray for.”






To access previous posts, click here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sally, you are so talented and gifted with words. Thank you so much for sharing!
Veronica Stewart

Anonymous said...

Lovely. True. Encouraging. - Kat Tinsley

Anonymous said...

Once again Sally you have reminded me what a GIFT GOD has given YOU to express your/my feelings through your words...THANK YOU for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your WORK this year...It touches my heart and soul and I appreciate YOU

Debbie Wade

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your lost. Quite honestly, we talk about it often and cannot come to an understanding we can accept. It is just too incomprehensible. - Suzan Maddox

Anonymous said...

We definitely ache for you in your loss. It could just as easily have been one of our kids. He was in the right place, doing the right things, not sick, just fine. How could this happen , what are the odds... Suzan Maddox

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Denise Hensarling

Anonymous said...

I’ve thought about this upcoming date for a while now. I’m thankful you are feeling restored and peaceful in that. God is faithful.

Nancy O'Melia

Anonymous said...

Love you, Sally.

Clyda

Anonymous said...

God’s peace is an amazing gift. Love you girls for supporting us. Susan, you really supported us when Sally had lymphoma at 15. You helped in ways that I could never forget. You organized an army of love. Thanks for continuing to encourage us.
I repeat, God’s peace is an amazing gift. Jane Moore

Anonymous said...

Love you, Doll. Long-distance hugs. - Sandy Currin

Anonymous said...

Sally, we are all blessed to have you in our lives... one who can express her/ our thoughts in words so well!Tanks for reminding us of God’s love and his plan!

Carolyn Lynch