October 25, 2014 - A fog, a bruise, and a girl walk into a bar

Ok, well we haven't made it to the bar yet, but we have at least made it out this morning to get my long overdue oil change completed. I figured while I look at the underbelly of the car here at the dealership, I might as well write. The fog is still an unwelcomed guest, but he ventures out each afternoon for several hours to visit someone else, hopefully not you, until the following day when he finds himself right back on my doorstep the following morning. This is day 3 of such behavior, and at least we have a trend. I am hopeful he will soon choose to go out visiting in the mornings as well.

Did I tell you I looked at my scar? I did this on Tuesday as promised and only a few short seconds of spilled tears. But I am getting so much better at this. I think of those women out there that not only embrace their scar, but REALLY embrace it, as in The Scar Project. I am not yet sure how I feel about that, but I do support the awareness they raise and the empowerment they provide. These scars have created a sort of underground (above ground?) society of women all joined by incisions of varying style and degree. But despite the variety, I am sure the incredible box of what they represent are all wrapped in the same paper of emotions though of varying spectrums. I am proud to be part of that society and day by day I inch closer to that embracing and empowerment other ladies of mastectomy said would come. I don't see myself displayed across a canvas, but I do see myself behind the stage in support of getting women through this life event. 1 in 8 is strong number and one I now sit on my mantle in support. Consider me a support bra.

Below is a picture I worked hard to capture tastefully so you will have some perspective of this last surgery should you find yourself there. Only an inch of many, and cropped down to be respectable, I hope. I wasn't able to capture the others, as they are more precariously placed, but this one I could capture on the side. I simply want women to know the scars can fade down to almost nothingness. Well, it will always be something, but I hope more of a badge of honor than an eyesore.

A fog, a bruise, and a girl walk into a car dealership....baby steps.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi friend! I just got caught up on your blog/posts! Of course I try to find humor through the pain like you so one of my thoughts was "maybe Sally will paint like an amazing Picasso-worthy picture at our class next week through your hazy/anesthesia cloud" lol I love your blog and your writing! You probably have no idea how many people you have encouraged from sharing your story! I love you and continuing to hope and pray you will "round the corner" and leave all this yucky stuff in your rear-view mirror for good!

Leigh Adams

Sally McCollum said...

Such kind words on this beautiful Saturday morning, Leigh Clark Adams! Thank you my dear. You will be happy to know (or sad maybe good our painting) that the fog lessens each day with fewer hours under the influence than the day before. Mornings seems to be my faux pas right now, then clearing for bright skies in the late afternoons! You are a kindred spirit indeed, so no doubt you and you sister, Kristen Wynns too for that matter get my boob humor. though she is probably diagnosing me as we speak.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were in a fog, got drunk, and banged yourself up! LOL!!! Didn't think it likely, but you're still under the effects/excuse of anethesia hangover, so it could be an opportunity to go "off the grid" if you were hankering to be totally out of control, instead of marginally so... You are so cute to give the PG warning for me! I think you are just darling, and I hope your Saturday fog clears soon, and you are able to fully engage with this beautiful fall day. No rain for us pluviaphiles today...but a lovely fall morning will do.

Kat Tinsley

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your journey - warts/scars and all. We ALL have them - some are more evident than others. But these wounds carry a story and a person and journey and with the grace of God, He carries us toward healing beyond what we see with our eyes and makes us a beautiful reflection of His Son. Love YOU!

MaryAnn Sibley

Sally McCollum said...

I made the mistake of joining my sister at the planetarium thus afternoon thinking sitting looking at beautiful scenario would be a delight. I'm an idiot though as while it was a delight, talk about a drunken set back! I'm still seeing stars and swirling around the heavens while on my couch. Mercy me indeed and note to self....

Thank you both, MaryAnn Stone Sibley and Kat! As always, such great encouragement from friends.