Sept 12, 2012 - Day # 35 - See Spot Run

Day 35: It's been a good day, but I'm exhausted. It's been non stop and you know I don't have the stamina for that these days. So you get my apologies for the delayed update. You know it's bad when you get an email from your mom saying "Go home and post. My phone is ringing off the hook!" When mom speaks.... I better get right to it.

Sally: "So Doc, I have what may be some bad news." (Me scrunching up my face and looking a little sheepish). Thankfully, he lets us get our greetings and niceties out before making me drop my gown. He's grown a bit in his bed side manner now that I've ragged him about it a bit. The very first time I met him he came running in the room like Kramer and went straight for the breast inspection. I never let him live that down.

Lead Plastic Surgeon: "Ut oh, let's hear it."

Sally: "Well you see, there's this spot...." (Surgeon's eyes getting a little wide at this point). So I go ahead and open the gown and show him the troublesome mind consuming spot. Me holding my breath and waiting nervously.

Lead Plastic Surgeon does a full exam of that area and more: "You have a scab." At that point I felt it was safe to exhale and breath normally.

Sally: "So I don't have tissue break down? My skin is safe? Hallelujah, I have been so worried. Best news ever"

Lead Plastic Surgeon: "You must have nicked it and not felt it or maybe it is from the skin rubbing against your tshirt." (See, I'm a good clinician, that was the exact scenario I had laid out as a possibility.).

"BUT, unfortunately, there is another worrisome spot we need to talk about...."


Huh??? What did he just say? Inhale and hold breath again.

All this time I have been worried about this black spot that showed up two days ago only to find out that was semi normal and instead there was another spot I had no clue about at the bottom of right imposter that looks like it is at risk for abcess. Go figure. Spot just got up, cloned itself, and ran down the hill to set up a place at base camp. I guess I deserve some hiccup in the journey since things have been smooth sailing from a surgical perpsective so far. The new spot is basically a draining wound (sorry to those of you who like less detail). Maybe a little smaller than a dime, but it an area at high risk for infection - at the bottom of my incision scar. Sooooo, we just bought ourself a three times a day cleaning regimen, covering with gauze, and visually measuring for size change. And we all know how much I adore looking at the incision. Seriously, of all places that I could have landed an abcess. Also,we scored  a long term relationship with Lead Plastic Surgeon. I had been so excited about spreading my appointments out to maybe monthly, but now I get to go back again next week and thereafter until the wound heals. This was not in my master plan! He says if it gets infected I run a risk at the whole boob becoming infected and jeopardizing losing the implant. Well that got every ounce of my attention because losing the implant means we take it out, go concave chest for 6 months or so (and we all know how that worked out for me the first go round), then surgery again to reimplant and you know what that would mean....more drains! No way jose! I am NOT signing up for that plan. So all hands on deck for wound care. Rest assured, at this point, it is fairly benign, we just have to be very careful that it doesn't progress at all. Hello, scrubbing bubbles, we are joining forces. Poor Ron. How many times will he have to inspect these things before we are all said and done. (Believe me, that isn't near as fun as it may sound for a married couple. Trust me. I could blog for days on how "medical" these things have become.) And why did Spot hav eto set up base camp  at the sight of the scar? Doesn't Lead Plastic Surgeon know I can't look at that right now! (I think he finds that part a little comical. Big bad oncology clinician that can't even look at her own incisions. I'm pitiful.) Maybe God has plans to grow me some more. I already feel like silly puddy so I don't know how much more stretch I can give, but we need to pull it all together and get through this one hurdle. We are so close to being done.

For your own sake, dear Reader, you might want to put every ounce of your energy into praying for this new Spot we shall now call Barkley (I always wanted a dog named Barkley and since Ron thinks we are not old enough to get a Great Dane then I have to name this Spot in it's honor.) Because if Barkley grows into a nasty abcess and I get an infected implant, you will have about 6 more months to suffer through my blog therapy. And honestly, I don't know if I can suffer through a concave chest again. So hop down on your knees right now for the sake of all involved. Let's make Barkley short lived. (Sorry, Barkley).  I truly think we caught it early enough and should have no problems, but just to be safe it never hurts to spend more time in prayer. God does amazing things through prayer not only for the person you are praying for but for the heart of the pray-er.

For inquiring minds, I was able to ask a few more questions that had been burning in my head the last few weeks:
  1. When will the swelling be resolved: 2-4 months. I wasn't expecting that.
  2. When will I no longer be at risk for losing the skin: We should be over that hurdle now.
  3. When will the risk of implant rejection be over: 2-3 years. Years???? I wasn't expecting that either.
  4. When can I sleep on my side: Whenever I feel comfy doing it! Well slap your dog and call me happy! That ALMOST made up for the new Spot.
Well hellooooo, Side pillow! We FINALLY meet again! Oh how I have missed you! The heart has grown ever so fonder in your absence, and I openly celebrate your unexpected return. Hugs and kisses, I-LOVE-YOU! (Remember, I have been sleeping on my back quite uncomfortably might I add  for 6 weeks now! Dear God, you know I have the utmost faith in your plan, but I would be oh so grateful if you could orchestrate it to where I lay on my side tonight and it is the most comfortable thing ever. I'm doubtful, but hopeful.)

And with that, I'm off to join my new found best buddy who must have thought I had abandoned him for a new down feather model. Your safe, side pillow! Sweet dreams.

No comments: