Aug 20, 2012 - Day # 13 - Reconstruction surgery update / Phase 1 over

Day 13 short update: On the way out the door, Ron kept mentioning all these things that weren't up yet (it was 4 in the morning mind you and not my usual get up time) including Mike Wellis, the DJ  on wqdr 94.7. I added a few items myself. Then, I saw all the cars moving in tandem with us on the interstate. There were some other crazy people out here! Let's just hope my surgeon is up and having the best cup of coffee he's ever had and reading the news paper for a low key low stress kind of morning. I obviously wanted him in a good place. 

Surgery was successful from the surgeon's perspective on all accounts except it lasted a lot longer than he expected. He was guessing 2 hours and it was close to 5. He did promise his best work afterall and he knew I would hold him to that. I think he was just trying to be super careful and thoughtful with his decision making to give me the best outcome with all the risks I have from the radiation. I am thinking however that Ron was probably nervous during the extra 3 hours of wait. 

From my perspective, the great news is I got to skip the expanders and go straight to implants! Delighted! Delighted! Delighted! He said he would have to decide once he made the incision and got everything open in front of him. His boob analysis resulted in implant placement. One who step I got to skip. How is that not a score?

The few downsides include: 
 1) I got 4 stinking drains this go round instead of 2 and they will be in at least a week if not two. Wasn't expecting that. He said he wanted to get rid of as much fluid as possible to give me the best chances for success long term. I now know why he was so hush hush the morning of surgery when I asked him about the drains. He knew I hated them, and he knew I would be giving grief if he had let on in advance about this 2 fold increase in drains. 

2) He doesn't want me to do my daily walk anymore while the drains are in. This made me super sad because this got me out of the house and I absolutely loved it. But let's face it, it's August. The dead of summer in NC bring moist heat. Moist heat = seating = bad for the incisions = Sally now on house arrest = not so happy Sally. His words "keep on hand on the house!"

3) Lots of restrictions and activity limitations with this surgery. So I should probably buy mom a cute French maid's outfit and Ron an English butler. I shall not lift a finger. And the best news to me: Phase One of this journey which gave me such awful mental challenges is OVER (see previous posts)! Maybe no more tears!!! Maybe. I now have boobs again. Who knew I would hold them so dear?

Hands down, Good continues to hear your prayers. He is blessing me beyond all expectations in this journey and reminding me he never promised a easy life, but a life that shines with his glory in all circumstances. We still have a long haul, but we are trucking along at a pleasant speed. More tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

1 comment:

Sally McCollum said...


You, Jolene Leirer Dombek, Content Truelove and 20 others like this.

MaryAnn Stone Sibley great to hear from you today Sally - and yes - the blessings you are experiencing are real and from God and covered with prayers!
August 20 at 7:25pm · Like

Kelly O'Melia Sally, So glad to hear things went well today. Praying for your sanity and comfort in the upcoming days.
August 20 at 7:32pm via mobile · Like

Sally Austin Hundley Praises and continued prayers
August 20 at 8:09pm · Like

Deedee Hughes Kees Yeah for implants! Now, I can just hear what Dennis is saying about Jane's new outfit. Lord, have mercy.
August 20 at 8:10pm · Like · 2

Kat Barber Yahoo! Congrats! I am so happy you have such a wonderful (and handsomely uniformed) support team at your side! and Yay for one less surgery and the journey sounds like it is rounding the corner. Thanks for sharing your story!!!
August 20 at 8:29pm · Like · 1

Rachel Tripp Treichler Yay for skipping expanders! I had those things in for like 14 months or something crazy like that until I got my implants. You will love not having to wear a bra if you don't want to!!! Seriously, this is one of the greatest "perks", girlfriend!!! Lol After years of being confined in those awful tight things, you'll feel so free!! :) Hang in there!!! You got this!!! Praying for you!! :)
August 20 at 8:41pm via mobile · Like · 1

Jennifer Thackray So happy for your delightful surprise! Prayers are being heard! love you
August 20 at 8:48pm · Like

Shearl McCollum Hardison Answered prayers. I'm so glad you feel better about yourself. God is good and kind. I can see your big beautiful smile!
August 20 at 8:59pm · Like

Nancy Holdsworth O'Melia Oh Sally you overachiever. Skipping surgeries and all. Warms my heart to see you feeling well enough to post. Love you
August 20 at 9:02pm · Like

Catherine Rose i almost died when i read *4* drains. all the best for a speedy (but safe) recovery
August 20 at 9:08pm · Like

Sally Moore McCollum Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! Rachel, by earthly standards your story of challenge and triumph dwarf mine on every level!!! I'm so glad you showed BC Who was boss! And I'm glad i share the same "boss" as you on my shorter journey! You are my extender hero! Let's hope these implants stick so i don't have to take them out and wait many months to try again.
August 20 at 9:24pm via mobile · Like · 1

Ron Hundley You should make Ron wear the maids outfit. That'll get 'em talking back in R'ville
August 20 at 9:25pm · Like

Robyn Scollard Schoch So proud of you Sally and happy at your good news! We continue to pray for you and watch for your updates! Lots of love from both of us!
August 20 at 9:57pm · Like · 1

April Arnold Johnson So glad that all is going so well. You have been in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully you can go on your walks very soon!
August 20 at 11:36pm via mobile · Like

Sarah Steegar Delaney SKip the expanders?! That's amazing! Congrats! The worst IS over! x
August 21 at 8:41am · Like · 1

Ann Bethune Mewborn Ann has her eye on you Sally! I could hear her laugh out loud when you commented on "going to the implants".
August 21 at 10:45am · Like

Carolyn Lynch Glad you've sailed through another hurdle! Prayers are getting answered. Put out the word when you are ready for a visit...ok? Wishing you brighter says ahead! Hugs!
August 22 at 2:01pm via mobile · Like